We get a lot of questions asking What can I do to stop my period cramps? or What helps period cramps fast? Here are our answers.
- Use a hot water bottle to make your tummy and also your lower back warm (you can also use a ziplock bag filled halfway with water and heated in the microwave.
- Soak a towel in water, wring it out and heat it in the microwave but not too hot to keep burning yourself, wrap a towel around it if needed) for your period plus 1 day.
- Have a hot shower.
- Do soft yoga stretches.
- Put your feet up on the wall, you laying on the floor.
- some women rub icy-hot on their lower belly but be careful with this.
- Get a soft back massage.
- Get some rest (seriously).
- Eat some dark chocolate.
- Stop green tea and caffeine drinks for your period.
- Reduce dairy even though calcium helps relieve cramps but dairy is said to make cramps worse, so get calcium from soya beans, green leafy vegetables (except spinach because it is high in oxalates which limit your body’s ability to absorb calcium), soya drinks with added calcium, tofu, or tempeh.
- Reduce sugar and replace it with honey.
- Stop cold drinks and foods, and drink warm water because you need a lot of water to get things moving better
- Drinking more water helps to remove the water weight faster on days 4 and 5.
- Avoid fried foods and processed foods.
- Stop salty snacks,
- Have complex carbohydrate foods (fruits vegetables, apricots, oranges, plums, pears, cucumbers, artichokes, corn, carrots).
There is more for each cycle day, get the app on the right, example below:
For most women, day 2 is the heaviest, most tiring day and the body feels very tender. If you find a small clot in your pad, this is normal but if you have many of them then it’s best to see a doctor. Plan to rest your mind and body these coming days as much as possible, you may have low physical energy, cramps, a bloated feeling, be physically and emotionally sensitive, may be easily irritated and generally feel slow.
The Traditional Chinese Medicine approach to managing their period for this day is to rest warmly and avoid cold food and drinks even though these body areas are separate, they link in other ways. Leslie Botha of the Holy Hormones journal tells that too much cold drink, ice cream, and frozen foods are bad for your stomach energy. The coldness could lead to dysmenorrhea, irregular periods, and difficulties in pregnancy.
Take it easy in the afternoon and evening. You’ll most likely feel:
- A ‘hot and bothered’ feeling, but a low body temperature
- Your body may feel heavy, bloated
- You may feel a heavy weariness
- You’ll have a sore lower back
- Cramping in your lower abdomen
- Cold hands and feet
- Your feet may swell, take care with your shoe choice
- Some slight depression
- Irritable skin or getting pimples
- Gaining weight, stomach spasms, diarrhoea or constipation
- Try not to make your hair get cold these few days
Softer exercise like yoga, Pilates, or meditation are good for this time. Yoga helps achieve hormonal balance as it helps to calm the body and reduce stress levels, which ultimately affect hormone balance. This helps your body to keep moving well and prepares your diet plan for your next cycle. Walking in the sunshine helps to return your hormones back to good levels.
If your body is affected by lack of sleep, stress, poor diet, lack of exercise, illness, or hereditary issues then all your feelings may be magnified and not all info will apply to you. Please note the menstrual cycle may vary from woman to woman. Remember to see your doctor every time things are not right. Continual bloating, pelvic or abdominal pain, difficulty eating, tension headaches, or migraines are good reasons to go.
Some of your goals for today might include having an afternoon walk, relaxing on the sofa, doing yoga, particularly laying on your back with your feet up on the wall, knees bent, and making a diamond pattern. It’s important to give yourself little physical, emotional, and visual breaks during the day. Have a cup of tea, take a walk down the street/park/shopping center, listen to relaxing music, have someone take care of the responsibilities for some time.
Our favorite author Lara Briden (who brings out new findings and ways to help you all the time) has the bestseller book:
Thank you for visiting
Have a nice day♡
Pic source here